Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Video Art Project


This project was inspired by David Hall's piece, "This is a Television Receiver," in which he presented a video and subsequently filmed a television screen playing the video and filmed the recording of the television screen playing that video and so on, until the image of the television screen at the end is distorted. For my project, I wanted the concept to be about the errors in recollection of events in the past. When relating events to each other, we tend to embellish or distort the events to our own liking or to how we see fit. Like in the game of telephone, events can resemble something different than it was originally with the passage of time. I wanted each video to be a little different from the one preceding it but with the core actions being performed in each to be the same. I used a recording of a video meant to be played in reverse that a friend and I made a while ago as the basis of my project. Then, I wanted us to reenact the actions but with different clothes each time. After we made videos of each reenactment, the videos were played on his laptop and I recorded that. With each consecutive video, I recorded the recording. This made it so by the fifth video, the actions on the screen are less clear and is harder to make out; this resembles how the recollection of events changes through time and from person to person and how the actual reality and origins of events become unclear.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Frank! I thought your project turned out amazing!! It really could be used for a music video. Nice Job! Have a great summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your video art project was really cool with the changing of clothes/hats, I'm not even sure how you were able to do that. The reflection of the tv was also a great added effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I immediatley recognized your inspiration for this. It was really cool! I agree with santiago that my favorite part was when the reflection of the lion could be seen in the back. And i like how you played all the footage backwards. Very unique and very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a fantastic and extremely advanced project. The underlying concept of things becoming more unclear as they are passed on (that dang telephone game!) is really great. I think this came out really great, and everything was very professional. Also! Thank you for helping me out in the labs when I was working on my project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved this project... very interesting... Save the original footage for later

    ReplyDelete