Tuesday, February 9, 2010

2/9/2010

I really enjoyed yesterday's class, especially the clips from Singin' in the Rain which I found hilarious. I've never watched this movie before but I saw it in my local library while looking for a copy of Madame Butterfly for the Opera project, so I'll be sure to rent it sometime in the future. I ended up renting Madame Butterfly and a movie that's tangentially related to Singin' in the Rain, A Clockwork Orange(which has a scene that completely recontextualizes the title song in one of its scenes which I won't spoil in this blog post.) I decided to read more into Singin' in the Rain after yesterday's class and an interesting tidbit I learned about that famous scene where Grace Kelly is literally singing in the rain was that the scene that looked absolutely seamless on first viewing actually took two to three days to achieve.
The growth of silent films from simple camera shots such as Nosferatu to the sense of pandemonium created in the film The Battleship Potemkin was a shining example of how important editing and camera movement can be in creating a captivating narrative. The frequent cuts in The Passion of Joan of Arc was very effective in adding to the heavy drama of Joan's demise by focusing on her as she was being executed and circumnavigating around her direct environment for the reactions from the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment