Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Beatniks

William S. Burroughs work shown in class has really intrigued me and I'm looking forward to reading his writing. I've always recognized his name as an influential author but I never got around to actually checking out his work. The same can be said of Allen Ginsberg. I've only heard of his poem "Howl" and know him as a famous poet. However, I read "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac when I was in high school but I don't remember the contents that well. I do remember that the man who inspired the character of "Dean Moriarty," Neal Cassady, also appears in Tom Wolfe's "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters. Interestingly, I see these two books bridging the gap between the beatnik and hippie generations with the appearance of Cassady.
The definition of the beatnik generation in class as a bit of a "lost generation" defeated by the high standards set by the "American Dream" was very fascinating. I never thought of the beatniks as being "beat down" and I only thought of the connotation of jazz music. The definition does fit as applied to "On the Road" because I actually do remember the opening page having Sal Paradise reveal that he went through a divorce (which could be seen as failure to start the perfect nuclear family). I never really thought about how "On the Road" was a revolutionary book for its time and I'm looking forward to reading "Naked Lunch" and "Howl" with this new perspective on how these works came to be (also, Burroughs' cut-up technique sounds absolutely wild!).

No comments:

Post a Comment